Our fully-immersive display system
The Cave is a TAN VR-Cube, an 8' cubic room in which 3-D images are projected on the walls and the floor. CrystalEyes LCD-shutter glasses provide stereo depth-perception, and a variety of Intersense and Polhemus tracking devices allow software to track the user’s position. The Cave also has a multi-speaker sound system that provides positional audio. Software packages available through CCV allow the Cave to be used for a variety of purposed, including volume visualization, molecular visualization, and simple 3-D model manipulation.
The Cave is available to all researchers and educators at Brown. New projects can be initiated through consultation with CCV visualization staff.
General information on Caves and projects involving the Cave:
- Brown University unveils 3D virtual-reality room
- Brown University and the Future of Virtual Reality
- Various Brown CS projects
- Plato’s Allegory of the Cave (one way the name “Cave” was derived)
- Information on the Cave at EVL, the creators of the original Cave